Wednesday, June 30, 2010

TOO HOT


It's been too hot to do much lately. However, I have been playing tennis (yes, in the SUN) for too many days this week! I come home from it just wiped out from exhaustion. Work has been local, which is nice, so haven't had to spend hours driving. Hubby left at 4:40 to go "cowboying" today out at the ranch. He looked so handsome in his cowboy hat this morning! His exhuberance reminded me of small boys and their desires to be cowboys! Just glad they got out before it got too hot. We've had close to 100 degrees for the past 3 days along with a gusty wind in the afternoons. At least it cools off at night.

Dragged out a simple recipe last night---a really crowd pleaser when it comes to the boys: (and so easy for me to make!)

BEEF NACHO CASSEROLE

1 pound ground beef (or turkey)
1 jar chunky salsa (about a cup)
1 c. corn (canned or thawed frozen)
3/4 c. Miracle Whip (or mayo)
1 T. chili powder (I use taco seasoning as I have a large contain of it)
2 c. crushed tortilla chips, divided (don't crush too small)
2 c. shredded cheese (I use Mexican four-cheese)

Heat oven to 350. Brown meat, drain. Stir in salsa, corn, mayo & chili powder. Layer 1/2 mixture topped with cheese on top of chips (start with chips), then repeat. Bake 20 minutes. Can top with shredded lettuce and chopped tomato. Makes 6 servings.

Love this in hot weather as you don't have to bake it long (everything is already cooked so you can cut back the time some if you want).

Watching Alex in the Gulf. Hope all that oil doesn't "land" eventually. What a REAL mess that would be. We can hope all that churning does help it dilute and disappear as they hope it will. Time will tell. Glad I don't live in its path (the storm and the oil!).

Enjoy the day!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope it cools off for you guys. The beef notchers cassurole sounds good but hubby can't chew them and hates mayo or any dressing, Ya I know use ah blender LOL! Cowboy'in sounds fun. Have ah good day and hope the storm won't be so severe.

Joe said...

It sounds like we're sharing your weather for the most part but like you said it's been cool at night which is a blessing. I could totally handle some nachos like that today! Hot or not those would always be good!

JennyD said...

Oooooo, boy! You know I had to do a copy and paste of that recipe, Sue. Yummers; my mouth is watering. If you knew me better, you'd know I never, NEVER say no to food, lol.
I'm sorry you got my weather. I promise I didn't wish it on you. It's the pits, I know. Today, here, it finally only in the mid eighties, but that's only going to last a couple of days and then back to the pure hell again. Oh well.
Daggone it, now I'm hungry.

Carol said...

Whew 100 I do remember those days in Ca. heat.. Don't miss it a bit!
Hope you don't get heat stroke out in that stuff. Recipe sounds great. Mom is on sucha strict diet I would have to make it for Sis and I and hide it from her, LOL
Stay Cool : )