Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Child Abuse

jth-of-july1 Just finished reading a book from the Women’s Murder Club by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro entitled, “4th Of July.”  I can’t seem to stop thinking about it and decided to broach this very taboo subject----child abuse.  Nowhere on the covers or in the inside blurbs does it even make mention of child abuse, but that’s what it all boils down to. 

With giving away the book, on a very basic note, this murder mystery deals with vigilantes bent on taking care of child abusers themselves by bypassing the system.  Although murder is not OK, one can certainly understand the murders’ anger and craziness when faced not only with young men abusing boys, but parents abusing kids by refusing to let them eat solid food, or parents trying to sell their child on the internet, or a nice young couple secretly trafficing young Mexican girls out of their barn…selling them for sex.  It makes one think about how many hundreds of ways kids are abused every day and refuse to talk to anyone for fear of their own lives or the lives of loved ones.  It is SO sad.  Many times it leads the kids to become criminals themselves and no one ever knows why.

This is perhaps the best written book that I’ve read by Patterson and I’ve read all of the Alex Cross ones and the first 4 of the Women’s Murder Club.  The book has many subplots but they all relate to children in one way or the other and thus all fit together to form a picture that still haunts me as I write this.  If you like mysteries, you must read this book.  This whole series would make great movies, but especially this one offering.

Happy reading!

3 comments:

JennyD said...

Yes, it is an important subject but one that people really don't like to talk about until an "episode" is discovered and reported in the news. But then it is quiet once again. I can see by your description why this book is still rolling around in your head. Shows the importance and also the skilled writing. I wrote down the title and it's now on my list. I have 9 books ready to read as we speak, just not the time at the moment, but it's going to be a good winter for reading :)
Thanks for the heads up on this book, Sue.
xoxo

Ramblingon said...

I have already commented at Spaces. but I will here as well. I am too aware of this heartbreak and I am one who can't choose to read about it. It's heartbreaking to me. But I am very aware from news and so on.

Unknown said...

The prevalence of child abuse has a lot to do with why I turned down opportunities to go into law enforcement on several occasions when I was younger. I knew that I would end up in prison for shooting the first pedophile, wife beater or rapist I had to deal with on the spot. I still feel that way.