Sunday, May 22, 2011

Yesterday must have been Bad Neck Day…

 DSCF1127 It was not the best day for our animals:  especially Charlie and Gypsy Girl.

Charlie is to become a chicken stew today.  Yesterday, when he chose to again attack, he was hit along side his head, breaking his neck---entirely by accident.  His nasty attitude was finally his downfall.  I DO miss his crowing and his strutting around.  However, when I went into the yard later to check the girls’ food, it was a quiet, calm and peaceful place----for the first time in AGES.  The girls raced to meet me and eagerly took the vegetable scraps I gave them and I didn’t have to watch my back as I dished out their grain from the shed.  I can now walk peacefully in the yard, without having to carry a stick and be watchful every step of the way.  Will we get another rooster?  Don’t know, but expect we might.  I’m sure the girls will miss his protection.

DSCF1221 In the morning, yesterday, when I heard Gypsy barking across the neighbor’s fence (at their two small dogs who were also barking), I called to her.  She came on the dead run and, instead of leaping onto the porch (she always ignores the small steps up), she forgot to jump and ran smack dab into the side of the porch.  At first I thought she may have knocked herself out, but no.  She turned around and slowly jumped up onto the porch---with a dazed expression.  No whining, or crying…but she was subdued for several minutes in the house, before returning to her normal rambunctious self.  What a TOUGH dog!  That HAD to hurt, but she took it in stride, as always.  She was lucky not to have broken her own neck!

3 comments:

CAROLDEE said...

OH NO... we were just talkin about Charlie..bettr people than I am I sure could NOT EAT him.. no way.. uh uh.. : ( Hope Gypsy is okay.

Unknown said...

There must be something in the air. Buddy hammered the porch railing with his hard head yesterday! Mama had just come home and he flew out the door to meet her but forgot to turn left and head down the steps! It didn't seem to bother him a bit.

Ramblingon said...

Ooor Charlie, really. I totally understand though. 100% but I'll miss hearing about him in his saner moments. The girls however..I hope all goes well as he was, as you said, a protection.